Time settings and refresh¶
In the upper right corner there is a section in which it defines the range of time that Energy Logserver will search in terms of conditions contained in the search bar. The default value is the last 15 minutes.
After clicking this selection, we can adjust the scope of search by selecting one of the three tabs in the drop-down window:
- Quick: contain several predefined ranges that should be clicked.
- Relative: in this windows specify the day from which Energy Logserver should search for data.
- Absolute: using two calendars we define the time range for which the search results are to be returned.
Energy Logserver in the body of searched events, it recognize fields that can be used to created more precision queries. The extracted fields are visible in the left panel. They are divided on three types: timestamp, marked on clock icon ; text, marked with the letter “t” and digital, marked witch hashtag .
Pointing to them and clicking on icon , they are automatically transferred to the „Selected Fields” column and in the place of events a table with selected columns is created on regular basis. In the “Selected Fields” selection you can also delete specific fields from the table by clicking on the selected element.
Filtering and syntax building¶
We use the query bar to search interesting events. For example, after entering the word „error”, all events that contain the word will be displayed, additional highlighting them with an yellow background.
Fields can be used in the similar way by defining conditions that interesting us. The syntax of such queries is:
This query will display all events that contain the „status” fields with a value of 500.
The field value does not have to be a single, specific value. For digital fields we can specify range in the following scheme:
<fields_name:[<range_from TO <range_to]
status:[500 TO 599]
This query will return events with status fields that are in the range 500 to 599.
The search language used in Energy Logserver allows to you use logical operators „AND”, „OR” and „NOT”, which are key and necessary to build more complex queries.
- AND is used to combined expressions, e.g. „error AND „access denied”. If an event contain only one expression or the words error and denied but not the word access, then it will not be displayed.
- OR is used to search for the events that contain one OR other expression, e.g. „status:500” OR “denied”. This query will display events that contain word „denied” or status field value of 500. Energy Logserver uses this operator by default, so query „status:500” “denied” would return the same results.
- NOT is used to exclude the following expression e.g. „status:[500 TO 599] NOT status:505” will display all events that have a status fields, and the value of the field is between 500 and 599 but will eliminate from the result events whose status field value is exactly 505.
- The above methods can be combined with each other by building even more complex queries. Understanding how they work and joining it, is the basis for effective searching and full use of Energy Logserver.
Example of query built from connected logical operations:
status:[500 TO 599] AND („access denied" OR error) NOT status:505
Returns in the results all events for which the value of status fields are in the range of 500 to 599, simultaneously contain the word „access denied” or „error”, omitting those events for which the status field value is 505.
Saving and deleting queries¶
Saving queries enables you to reload and use them in the future.
To save query, click on the “Save” button under on the query bar:
This will bring up a window in which we give the query a name and then click the button .
Saved queries can be opened by going to „Open” from the main menu at the top of the page, and select saved search from the search list:
Additional you can use “Saved Searchers Filter..” to filter the search list.
To open a saved query from the search list, you can click on the name of the query you are interested in.
After clicking on the icon on the name of the saved query and chose “Edit Query DSL”, we will gain access to the advanced editing mode, so that we can change the query on at a lower level.
It is a powerful tool designed for advanced users, designed to modify the query and the way it is presented by Energy Logserver.
To delete a saved query, open it from the search list, and then click on the button .
If you want delete many saved queries simultaneously go to the “Management Object” -> “Saved Object” -> “Searches” select it in the list (the icon to the left of the query name), and then click “Delete” button.
From this level, you can also export saved queries in the same way. To do this, you need to click on and choose the save location. The file will be saved in .JSON format. If you then want to import such a file to Energy Logserver, click on button , at the top of the page and select the desired file.
Discovery module allows you to manually create incidents that are saved in the
Incidents tab of the
Alerts module. Manual incidents are based on search results or filtering.
For a manual incident, you can save the following parameters:
- Rule name
After saving the manual incident, you can go to the Incident tab in the Alert module to perform the incident handling procedure.
Change the default width of columns¶
To improve the readability of values in Discovery columns, you can set a minimum column width. The column width setting is in the CSS style files:
To set the minimum width for the columns, e.g. 150px, add the following entry
min-width: 150px in the CSS style files:
.kbnDocTableCell__dataField min-width: 150px; white-space: pre-wrap; }